It is still a phone call that I will never forget.
It happened a year ago.
but it is was on my heart and mind tonight as I was nursing my sweet little babe
here is what I wrote about it at the time:
“At our ultrasound last week the peri neonatologist was concerned about calcium deposits on the baby’s liver. Wanted to make sure I had the blood test done and have me come back in 4 weeks to re-evaluate.
I got a call from them today to tell me that the results of the AFP4 test. It showed that there was an increased risk of Trisomy 18. Here is what my quick research showed:
Trisomy 18 is a congenital disorder caused by the presence of an extra #18 chromosome, occurring in about 1 out of 3,000 to 1 out of 6,000 live births.
Trisomy 18 is always fatal, with 50% of babies dying within the first week and an additional 40% dying within the first year. The disorder is characterized by profound mental retardation, heart defects, and central nervous system defects
More research shows that these test have a tendency to not be accurate and I am hoping that it is true.
we have a Consult with the Peri Neonatologist on Wednesday at 3pm.
Please pray that everything is ok…
I can’t get “is always fatal” out of my head and heart…”
The appointment went as expected really. We had done enough research to know what he was going to tell us. What we didn’t know, were the numbers. There is a 1:16 chance that the baby has T18. That is about 6%. That also means that there is a 94% chance that the baby is perfectly healthy. Still the 1:16 took my breath away…it was alot higher than what I expected.
Because of the calcium deposits were seen in the u/s and the test coming back the way it was, he said we are working with 2 risk factors. Although the calcium deposits didn’t seem to be a big factor.
The good news (which we knew already) is that the baby is looking and measuring normal. IF he were to have T18, the abnormalities would show up in a level II u/s which is what we had last week. There are many, many different signs that can show up on an u/s.
Now we are faced with the decision to have and Amnio or not. the Amnio would identify for us FOR SURE that the baby does or does not have it.
The doctor wants us to have one SOON because FL law only allows you to terminate a pregnancy up to 24 wks (I am 21w3d) We have one scheduled for next Thursday. But, we WILL NOT be terminating the pregnancy.
We also have the option to chose NOT to do the Amnio and wait it out. Either way from here on out, we will be having consistent ultrasounds to check and monitor the baby.
I have mixed emotions about all of this but I am doing ok.
I will keep you posted.
more to come in a later post.